MySQL might have started as a niche database system for developers but it has now matured into the #1 top dog position in the global database market.
MySQL: The most popular database worldwide
If you’re like most of our customers, you’re probably using MySQL.
There are two ways you can manage MySQL.
- Command line
- GUI tool
Using command line is fine for certain situations, but overall, using a GUI can save a lot of time and is much easier to work with. But with so many available tools, which one should you choose?
This blog post will review (in our opinion) the 15 best MySQL GUI tools. These tools offer a variety of features, such as the ability to create, edit, and delete databases and tables, as well as query and view data. They also provide a MySQL admin panel that allows you to manage users and permissions.
Hopefully, it can help you choose the right one for your needs.
MySQL GUI Tools Reviewed
Initially released back in the 1998 phpMyAdmin was written in PHP in order to handle MySQL and MariaDB inside the web browser.
Today it is one of the most popular tools that manage MySQL database administration. It has enough functionality to create a website without technical knowledge of MYSQL.
It is free to try and use but author encourages donations that can enhance the software. It’s widely used to manage databases, tables, relations, users and much more.
- Easy to install and manage hosting environments
- Innovative and Simple
- Since it is web-based, it can be accessed from nearly any computer.
- SQL syntaxes aren’t highlighted
MYDB studio was released in 2004. It offers a handy collection of tools for MySQL server administration. Users can use it to create, edit and drop database objects. It has a simple Graphical User Interface which allows users to get used to it with ease.
It features the ability to create PHP scripts and has a built-in browser that lets you search manually. It is free but in order to get a free license, you need to register.
- Handy administration tools
- PHP builder is included
- In order to use it for free, the user must register.
HeidiSQL got released as a stable open-source tool in 2015. It is handy and used widely by web developers and it’s available on OSX and Windows.
It offers tools such as editing data, browsing data and lets the user create the tables and modify them. It is very popular because of its portability, lightweight, and ease of use.
More importantly, this tool is freeware, attracting various developers and database administrators.
- Portable, lightweight and easy to install and use
- Offers syntax completion, data synchronization and has great user management
- Unfortunately, it works slower and tends to crash when there’s too much data used.
MySQL Workbench is a visual tool for database architects and developer. It offers administration tools for server configuration, user administration and much more.
It is available on Windows, Linux, and MAC OS X.
It is recommended for anyone who wants to master Database administration. It came out as a stable tool in October 2016.
- It saves SQL statements
- It offers offline access to remote DB’s
- It stores multiple connections inside one location
- It is more complex compared to Phpmyadmin.
Sequel Pro is an open-source application that enables the user to build sites for free. However, it is widely used by programmers and software developers as well.
Unfortunately, it is available only for MAC OS X so windows users have to turn to some other open-source application. It is free but author encourages donation.
- SQL queries are being run from menus
- Easily connects to the databases using TCP/IP protocol
- It is not available for other operating systems.
- Not as good as PHPMyAdmin
Navicat offers decent features and options for database administrators and developers. It runs exceptionally on all windows operating, starting from Windows XP SP3, but it runs pretty decently on Linux and Mac OS X. It has a rich set of features and it is very responsive and innovative.
This software isn’t free, but it offers a 14-day free trial so the potential users can try it out. Its been available since 2001. Definitely popular with the “old timers.”
- Devoted customer support staff.
- Large set of features and options for its users
- Secure connections
- It is not free
Database Master offers a large set of features and options that any database administrator would love to have. It does everything that is expected from the program. It is limited to Windows and isn’t freeware. It is used for creating, editing, and dropping database objects.
- A lot of details, very innovative and trivial
- It is not freeware but offers a trial version.
- Limited to Windows
DbForge studio is an integrated environment for MYSQL. This GUI is handy for managing databases, developing and editing MYSQL. It enables users to create and run queries inside a comfortable environment.
Although it’s not for free and costs around $150, it is very convenient and has a lot to offer. It was found in 1997 in the Czech Republic.
- Offers proficient customer support
- Has innovative UI and UX
- Various features and settings
- It isn’t free
- Customer Support is limited to the business hours
- Limited to Windows.
This software comes in 3 packages Professional, Enterprise, and Pro. However, you can choose one of the 3 packages after trying it out as a trial.
SQL database administrators can trust it to perform well, without too many bugs and ease of use. This is another feature that is only available for Windows, so OS X and Linux users will have to look elsewhere to create SQL database documentation.
- Innovative, smooth query designer
- Although it’s very expensive, all its features are worth the price
- Only available for Windows
Released back in 2012 is Windows’ front end for the MYSQL server. Many database administrators and developers use it in their endeavors, as much as web designers and developers. It can be used for importing and exporting data as SQL files, CSV file format, HTML, XML and much more.
Just like other enhanced GUI applications, this one isn’t free, but it offers a free trial.
- It supports importing and exporting in standard file types
- It has a lot of features that enhance the quality of database
- Another feature that is available only for Windows operating system
- It’s not free.
This program is free and available for all operating systems Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Unix. It was launched in 2015 and is handy for database developers, web developers, and analysts.
It offers a wide range of features and settings that support database development and maintenance. The base version is free, but you can upgrade it to a pro version which has more features.
- Search box that highlights matching rows
- Easy to use, very flexible and ensures simple data recovery.
- Pro version is quite expensive and not worth the fuss.
This powerful GUI operates with special Valentina databases, MYSQL and MariaDB. It is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux, and it also features iValentina version for iPhone and iPad.
It operates with various queries, lets you create and maintain databases, queries, relations, and much more.
The basic package is for free, and it is dedicated to the users that would like to learn more. More advanced packages ( Pro -$ 199.9, Universal -$399.9) are recommended for professionals.
- Valentina Studio has a fresh, intuitive and responsive user interface.
- It is a cross-platform application
- We haven’t noticed significant issues that would affect user experience, except that pro and universal versions have much more to offer, but are much more expensive.
This tool enables the user to monitor, maintain, develop and design MYSQL databases but also MariaDB with ease. It has extremely easy and innovative user interface and is dedicated to anyone who wants to master this branch of IT. It can import and export files in SQL and CSV format and much more.
This software is not for free.
It costs $25 USD and offers a free trial that lasts 30 days. Also, Querious is available only for MAC OS X.
- The full price of this product isn’t as high as it is on other products.
- It gives professional user experience and editing.
- Top-notch import and export functionality
- It is available only for Mac os x.
Aqua Studio is an extremely popular and useful tool that assists database developers, web developers, and analysts. It has high-quality functionality, it is easy to install and use if you possess the knowledge. It offers a lot of features and functions and has highly responsive customer support.
- Aqua Data Studio makes creating and running queries very easy and is intuitive towards beginners.
- It is way too expensive for what it has to offer.
- It requires a lot of technical knowledge in order to master it.
Toad for MYSQL
Many database and web developers refer to Toad feature for MYSQL, especially Oracle developers. It makes coding and creating databases easier and more efficient in the process.
It was released in December 2014 and it is available for all versions of Windows starting from Windows 98. The best part is that this software is completely free.
- It installs quickly.
- It is very easy to use, especially with its user-friendly interface.
- It offers many options and features that enhance user experience.
- It can get buggy, even on a PC with high-end specifications.